Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Change History

Don't understand seventh chords? Need some tricks for learning key signatures? Post your questions here, or see if you can answer someone else's question.

Changed By: Athair
Change Date: May 14, 2017 10:28AM

Re: Dominate 7th chord utilized outside of key
The Eagles' song seem to cast a (so-called) secondary dominant over scale degree I. It might be argued that the rationale for so doing is to atach melodic function to the tonic of I; hence making the skip I-IV more effective (in a way, the default harmonic development would have the weights within degree I, and the chord sequence depending on it, upon the imperfect consonant intervals contained in it: that is, the major 3rd. In such a context, secondary dominants in particular and probably seven chords in general, would have the effect of changing the relevant interval, as said earlier). In case a bass-pedal were present, it might be changed by the writing of a secondary dominant (this is the same as before in a different perspective). Greetings

Original Message

Author: Athair
Date: May 14, 2017 10:26AM

Re: Dominate 7th chord utilized outside of key
The Eagles' song seem to cast a (so-called) secondary dominant over scale degree I. It might be argued that the rationale for so doing is to atach melodic function to the tonic of I; hence making the skip I-IV more effective (in a way, the default harmonic development would have the weights within degree I, and the chord sequence depending on it, upon the imperfect consonant intervals contained in it: that is, the major 3rd. In such a context, secondary dominants in particular and probably seven chords in general, would have the effect of changing the relevant interval, as said earlier). In case a bass-pedal were present, it might be changed by the writing of a secondary dominant (this is the same in a different perspective). Greetings