Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Change History

Don't understand seventh chords? Need some tricks for learning key signatures? Post your questions here, or see if you can answer someone else's question.

Changed By: jacobass
Change Date: June 02, 2017 12:15PM

Re: Making the tonic chord a Dominant 7?
I think this is pretty clearly in F as opposed to Bb.

The melody has a lot of pentatonic elements, which confirm that it's a bluesy F.

But really, tThe Dbmaj7 --> Cm7 is indeed borrowed directly from the minor F minor key, so it's the landing of the Fmaj in the chorus that really gives this tune that lift, as I think you pointed out. In terms of analysis, we need to look at the melody line note that is being sung over the 2 bars which contain Cm7 (when he sings 'if you feel like a room without a...,'). It's F, right? So that means it's really functioning as Cm7sus, and that ambiguity, when it's suddenly resolved on F major (! not minor) makes the tune.

Original Message

Author: jacobass
Date: June 02, 2017 11:42AM

Re: Making the tonic chord a Dominant 7?
I think this is pretty clearly in F as opposed to Bb.

The melody has a lot of pentatonic elements, which confirm that it's a bluesy F.

But really, the Dbmaj7 --> Cm7 is indeed borrowed directly from the minor F minor key, so it's the landing of the Fmaj in the chorus that really gives this tune that lift, as I think you pointed out. In terms of analysis, we need to look at the melody line note that is being sung over the 2 bars which contain Cm7 (when he sings 'if you feel like a room without a...,'). It's F, right? So that means it's really functioning as Cm7sus, and that ambiguity, when it's suddenly resolved on F major (! not minor) makes the tune.