Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Change History

Don't understand seventh chords? Need some tricks for learning key signatures? Post your questions here, or see if you can answer someone else's question.

Changed By: Athair
Change Date: April 18, 2018 10:32AM

Re: D7 a chord in the c major scale
In the key of C Major, D7 is a secondary dominant chord; a brief rationale for secondary dominant chords could be as follows: they make use of some note outside the key (in C Major, either # or b) to bring a change in the function of the chord. For instance, D7 makes use of F# in order to provide the so called [i]leading tone[/i] (F#, instead of F) as to pull the chord into G (that is, the perfect cadence of D into G, G-where F# moves upward onto G; instead of the natural key-based perfect cadence of G into C).

Greetings
Changed By: Athair
Change Date: April 18, 2018 10:29AM

In the key of C Major, D7 is a secondary dominant chord; a brief rationale for secondary dominant chords could be as follows: they make use of some note outside the key (in C Major, either # or b) to bring a change in the function of the chord. For instance, D7 makes use of F# in order to provide the so called [i]leading tone (instead [/i] (F#, instead of F) as to pull the chord into G (that is, the perfect cadence of D into G, instead of the natural key-based perfect cadence of G into C).

Greetings

Original Message

Author: Athair
Date: April 18, 2018 10:26AM

In the key of C Major, D7 is a secondary dominant chord; a brief rationale for secondary dominant chords could be as follows: they make use of some note outside the key (in C Major, either # or b) to bring a change in the function of the chord. For instance, D7 makes use of F# in order to provide the so called leading tone (instead of F) as to pull the chord into G (that is, the perfect cadence of D into G, instead of the natural key-based perfect cadence of G into C).

Greetings