Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Transpose key signiture

Posted by phoebe 
Sue
Re: Transpose key signature
May 15, 2009 07:45PM
Hi, I need to transpose a key signature up a minor third from g minor, how do i do this?
May 16, 2009 03:53PM
Sue Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi, I need to transpose a key signature up a minor
> third from g minor, how do i do this?
>

You count 3 semitones up from G:

G (0) - G# (1) - A (2) - Bb (3)

So you'd use the key signature for Bb minor.

If you don't know how to count a minor third, or what all of your key signatures are, you really should learn them now!

Another method is, that if you know G Minor is a *minor* key, and therefore the 3rd note of any minor scale is a *minor 3rd* from the tonic, you'd automatically know that Bb is a minor 3rd above G.

Yet another method is, to know how many accidentals change when you move up a minor third.

For example, the key sig for A minor is no sharps or flats. C minor (C is up a m3 from A) is 3 flats. That means, *any* time you move up a m3 in keys, it will add 3 flats.

Since G minor already has 2 flats, if you add 3, you'll have a total of 5. 5 flats is, of course Bb Minor.

Now, I've assumed you want to transpose "music" up a minor 3rd, but there is a slight possibility you're being asked (or need to know) the RELATIVE MAJOR to G Minor - I mention this RELATIVE keys are related by m3 - so you might be looking for Bb Major as the relative major to G minor (notice up a m3 from G is Bb in any case).

HTH,
Steve

Re: Transpose key signiture
June 16, 2009 04:41AM
Hello,

here is a list of major tonalities

a. Scales in sharps (#)

C major C D E F G A B C No alteration.

G major G A B C D E F# G 1 #

D major D E F# G A B C# D 2 #

A major A B C# D E F# G# A 3 #

E major E F# G# A B C# D# E 4 #

B major B C# D# E F# G# A# B 5 #

F # major F# G# A# B C# D# E# F# 6 #

C # major C# D# E# F# G# A# B# C# 7 #

b. Scales in flats (b)

F major F G A B b C D E F 1 b

B b major Bb C D Eb F G A Bb 2 b

E b major Eb F G Ab Bb C D Eb 3 b

A b major Ab Bb C Db Eb F G Ab 4 b

D b major Db Eb F Gb Ab Bb C Db 5 b

G b major Gb Ab Bb Cb Db Eb F Fb 6 b

C b major Cb Db Eb Fb Gb Ab Bb Cb 7 b

For minor scales, see here :
[www.musiclassroom.com]

Regards

www.musiclassroom.com/home.php?lang=en
April 02, 2011 07:50PM
How do I transpose a song written in G major to A minor?
April 03, 2011 01:20PM
Bill Hahne Wrote:
> How do I transpose a song written in G major to A
> minor?

You can't "transpose" a major key tune to a minor key, if I understand the term correctly. "Transposition" means moving a whole piece to a different key of the same type (major or minor) keeping all the internal relationships the same.

You can rewrite a tune in a minor key, which will mean changing chord qualities and certain interval relationships. (Not sure what the term for that is.)

And you can of course "modulate" from a major to a minor key in the same piece of music. (The tune and chords will be different, of course.)

Which do you mean?
Bill Hahne
April 11, 2011 02:21PM
I'm not really sure what I mean. I bought a piece of sheet music for a song Cordova by the Indigo Girls. There is one F# in the key signature, which to me means the key of G major. Correct? But there is a notation at the start that says "Guitar and Keyboard in A Minor". The guitar chords on the sheet music are "Am, Bm, C, Am, Bm, C" That's just the intro. When I play these guitar chords along with the recording they sound perfect. Also when I pick out the keyboard arrangement all the F#'s sound perfect. But after that the guitar chords "Am, Bm, C, Am, Bm, C, G, D, Am, C, G, D, Bm, C" all sound perfect. But the keyboard arrangement seems to fall apart after the intro although there is no indication to change keys at that point. Also it certainly doesn't sound like there is a key change at that point. And the sound definitely has a haunting, melancholic sound that's typical of a minor key. Anyway, I have a scanned PDF file of the sheet music that I can send you along with the recording file (also on YouTube). I would greatly appreciate it if you can help me. This song is truly beautiful. Thanks.

Bill Hahne

[ EDIT - deleted Bill's phone number for his own protection. ]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2011 03:40PM by Zapped.
April 11, 2011 02:49PM
When people say "A minor" they usually mean "A natural minor", which as you probably know is a relative minor key based off the C major scale (no sharps or flats). But another meaning of A minor might me the "A Dorian (minor) mode), which is a relative minor based off the key of G major (key signature having one sharp, F#). A natural minor and A Dorian mode only differ in the quality of the 6th scale degree - it's a b6 in natural minor but a 6 (major sixth above root) in dorian mode.

The chords you listed are all triads derived from the G major key signature and also found in the A Dorian minor mode, so the description "Guitar and Keyboard in A Minor" seems reasonable, if a little vague.

- Jim in Austin, TX
April 12, 2011 01:35PM
Bill Hahne Wrote:
> I'm not really sure what I mean. I bought a piece
> of sheet music for a song Cordova by the Indigo
> Girls. There is one F# in the key signature, which
> to me means the key of G major. Correct? But there
> is a notation at the start that says "Guitar and
> Keyboard in A Minor". The guitar chords on the
> sheet music are "Am, Bm, C, Am, Bm, C" That's
> just the intro. When I play these guitar chords
> along with the recording they sound perfect. Also
> when I pick out the keyboard arrangement all the
> F#'s sound perfect. But after that the guitar
> chords "Am, Bm, C, Am, Bm, C, G, D, Am, C, G, D,
> Bm, C" all sound perfect. But the keyboard
> arrangement seems to fall apart after the intro
> although there is no indication to change keys at
> that point. Also it certainly doesn't sound like
> there is a key change at that point. And the sound
> definitely has a haunting, melancholic sound
> that's typical of a minor key. Anyway, I have a
> scanned PDF file of the sheet music that I can
> send you along with the recording file (also on
> YouTube). I would greatly appreciate it if you
> can help me. This song is truly beautiful.
> Thanks.

Just to cofirm Zapped's guess (I just found the tune and listened to it): it's in A dorian mode - at least in the verse. The chorus (starting "tracing your face" ) sounds more like G major, at least because it begins with a G chord, which has the strongest tonal pull of all chords in that scale. The chorus ends on the dominant (D).

So I'd say it was - overall - in the G major key, but a suggestion of A dorian mode in the verse. The 1-sharp key sig is correct however you analyse it, because a key signature only shows the scale employed. We tend to assume 1 sharp means G major or E minor, but that's only because those keys are the most common usages of that scale - the most common "modes" of that scale, if you like.

BTW, the mood here is not so much down to the mode or key, as to the arrangement: it's slow, in triple time (which gives it a gentle lilt), with soft electric piano arpeggios with tremelo added, to give it a pulse. And the vocal is close-miked, low in register, to make it sound intimate. And of course the theme of the lyrics is romantic/nostalgic. This all adds up to the elegiac mood. You can still hear the somewhat brightening effect of moving to G major in the chorus, but that just has the effect of "sweetening" the sound.

Just goes to show that major keys are not necessarily "happy" - they can easily be "bittersweet" too! ;)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2011 01:37PM by JonR.
December 02, 2011 11:16PM
Hi,
um i have this flute duet for carol of the bells that me and my friend were going to play along with the church choir. However, the lady wants us to change it (its in g minor) to d minor... im just in 8th grade... i have no idea how to do that... i mean i know in d minor there would be one flat which would be b flat and well thats really all i know... can u please help me???
December 02, 2011 11:32PM
Shelly Wrote:
> Hi,
> um i have this flute duet for carol of the bells
> that me and my friend were going to play along
> with the church choir. However, the lady wants us
> to change it (its in g minor) to d minor... im
> just in 8th grade... i have no idea how to do
> that... i mean i know in d minor there would be
> one flat which would be b flat and well thats
> really all i know... can u please help me???

Hi Shelly.

First of all, you should read the second post which says "don't ask a new question in an old thread, start a new thread". The last time anyone replied in this thread was back in April. You stand a better chance of people seeing your question and getting a good answer if you start a new thread. Luckily, all the other threads are showing as no new posts for me, so I saw this one had moved to the top and checked it.

What you have to do is think about how far away D minor is from G minor. Since they're both minor, you can ignore that part of it. So all you have left to do is count UP, or DOWN from G.

Up G-A-B-C-D = 5
Down G-F-E-D = 4

So you either have to move all your notes up a 5th (5 letter names) or down a 4th (4 letter names) and adjust the letters to the key signature (which you already know). Since it's flute going down a 4th might be too low. Nonetheless, the notes come out the same:

G = D
A = E
Bb = F
C = G
D = A
Eb = Bb
F = C
G = D

Any F# notes from G minor will become C# in D minor (in other words, since you raised it a half step in G minor, you'd have to raise it a half step in D minor too).

There might also be some E naturals in the G minor which would become B naturals in D minor (do you understand why?).

Good Luck,

Steve
February 19, 2012 09:48AM
I have a piece of music which is in C minor. how many semitones do I move in order to change the key to E minor?
February 19, 2012 10:11AM
Let's count up:

C C# D D# E

Or: C Db D Eb E

The answer is therefore 4.

Buy the comprehensive yet concise textbook on Four Part Harmony.
Ok, I know how to transpose ect ... but my question is if I am in Fmaj. and the piano has a transpose buttom were I can change the key signiture up or down. So now my question to you is I am in F maj, and the transpose buttom went down to(-7) for my choir. How do I know what Key signiture I am in. I want to think I am in B maj. Help me please!
June 09, 2012 01:49AM
If you're playing in F major, and you set the transpose button to -7, the pitch will be lowered by seven semitones, or a perfect 5th, so you'll actually be playing in B flat major.
Anonymous
October 28, 2012 03:12PM
Hey i was wondering how to transpose a sharp minor down a major 2nd.
Would it be g sharp minor or g minor?
October 28, 2012 03:50PM
Anonymous Wrote:
> Hey i was wondering how to transpose a sharp minor
> down a major 2nd.
> Would it be g sharp minor or g minor?

G# minor.

A down to G is a "2nd" of some kind, regardless of sharps and flats.
Because A-G is a major 2nd (a tone or whole step), then A#-G# is also a major 2nd, as is Ab-Gb.
A# to G would be 3 half-steps, an "augmented 2nd".
M
March 22, 2013 02:18PM
Hi, I have homework (due in about two weeks maybe?) and the theory teacher told us to transpose 'The Miller of Dee' into A minor (the actual song is in G minor. I'm in Grade 4 and the teacher forgot to tell us how to transpose this piece (I think). I'm a little worried that I won't get the homework in on time so pleaseeeeeeee help. (It would be great if you told me how to do it in a simple way!) Thanks.
March 22, 2013 03:35PM
M Wrote:

> transpose 'The Miller of Dee' into A minor (the
> actual song is in G minor.

Just remove the key signature and move everything up one tone.

October 02, 2013 05:33AM
thanks but i am asking
What is F major down a minor 3rd?
October 02, 2013 06:30AM
christine Wrote:
> [/color
> ]
thanks but i am asking
> What is F major down a minor 3rd?

A "3rd" means 3 note letters, counting F as "1st". So, counting downwards, that's F-E-D.
So, some kind of D (might be Db or D#, still "3rds" down from F).

A "minor" 3rd is three half-steps. So that's F - E - Eb/D# - D.
Ie, the answer is D major.

(F major down a major 3rd, would be Db major, 4 half-steps down. Make sense?)
December 19, 2013 07:14AM
I Think you fill find its a 4th...

G (1) G# (2) A (3) Bb (4) - Always start on the root note as 1.
December 19, 2013 08:22AM
Hmoyes Wrote:
> I Think you fill find its a 4th...
>
> G (1) G# (2) A (3) Bb (4) - Always start on the
> root note as 1.

G - Bb isn't a 4th. It's a minor 3rd.
G(1) - A(2) - Bb(3)

The reason that it's minor is because it consists of only 3 semitones compared to the major 3rd interval G - B, which is 4 semitones.

Yes, number the G as 1, but don't call G# 2. The interval between G - G#) isn't a 2nd. it's still a kind of 1 - an augmented unison, in fact.

To find how any interval is numbered, you just need to count the number of letters that the interval spans. The note G (sharp, flat or natural) to the note B (sharp, flat or natural) will always be a 3rd of some kind because three scale degrees are spanned by the interval.
February 01, 2014 08:16PM
What is an augmented 4th down from b minor, please help me!!!! ~claire grade four theory
February 01, 2014 11:27PM
Claire Wrote:
> What is an augmented 4th down from b minor, please
> help me!!!! ~claire grade four theory

Claire,

There's no such thing as "an augmented 4th down from b minor".

You could ask, "what's an augmented 4th below B"

or

"what key is an augmented 4th below B minor".

To find an augmented 4th below B, you have to know how to find your intervals. Do you?

Tell me, what's a 4th below B?

Steve
February 26, 2014 06:33AM
I need to transpose a key signature down a minor 6th from E flat major.
Please tell me the steps to do this.
Thanx.
February 26, 2014 12:08PM
Methmi Wrote:
> I need to transpose a key signature down a minor
> 6th from E flat major.
> Please tell me the steps to do this.
> Thanx.

The first step would be working out which note is a minor sixth below Eb...
If you don't know what this means, then you need to study intervals (and forget about key signatures for a minute).

March 22, 2014 12:25AM
How do I transpose a song written in G major to A minor?
March 22, 2014 12:42AM
Bill Hahne Wrote:
> How do I transpose a song written in G major to A
> minor?

You already asked this in a post above - 3 years ago!
June 12, 2014 02:46AM
Can I check with you if by transposing an E minor key up a minor 3rd, the new key would be G minor? Thanks!
June 12, 2014 06:11AM
wangmf Wrote:
> Can I check with you if by transposing an E minor
> key up a minor 3rd, the new key would be G minor?
> Thanks!

Yes.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
3dUV3