Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How Often should I pratice

Posted by Tlove 
Tlove
How Often should I pratice
November 11, 2005 07:17AM
I am not your traditonal student. I am 29 years old and I have learned to play by ear first. I am a Minister of Music at a church and now I want to learn how to read music. I want to learn the proper fingers for scales and unlock the chord logic of jazz so that I can implement that into my playing at church. I can read just not very fast, I have been using the excersises on this site and it has help a great deal. How often should I practice and what should I pratice? I play chords all the time but I could not tell you what kind of chords they are. For the church I have to learn music all the time but I do that by ear. I know about chords, and theroy and things like that. I need some advice
Re: How Often should I pratice
November 15, 2005 11:45PM
Hi!
There's a pretty good discussion about practicing here:
[cnx.rice.edu]

Generally, you should try to practice daily, even if just for 1/2 hour. This is better than practicing for hours and hours all at once -- partly because you need to keep building your skills a tiny bit at a time, and partly because during long practice session you'll often get frustrated and tense... which will hurt you more than help you.

What to practice is a much harder question, especially for you. Basically, you need to work on getting your musical knowledge up to the level of your play-by-ear skills (so you'll know which chords you're playing, and so you can learn new songs from a book instead of by ear)... which can be pretty frustrating sometimes, since it'll feel like you're moving backwards.

Could you sign up with a local teacher for just a few lessons? That might be the best approach. You don't have to sign on for ongoing lessons if they don't fit in your schedule or budget, and a teacher would be able to spend some time with you, figuring out where you are and the best way for you to get where you want to go.

I'm thinking about doing this myself, actually -- I've played guitar for decades now with only 2 years of classical guitar lessons in college, so I'm sure I've got lots of strange habits technically that may be working against me.

Good luck!
-Rob
Tlove
November 25, 2005 07:19AM
Thanks Rob I know learning another instrument right now is not the best thing but I have taken an intrest in the lead guitar. I play 5 String Bass aswell and the bass logic makes sense to me, but what I don't understand is the logic of the lead. BEADGB the first four strings I understand because it is just like playing the bass how does the G and B sting come into play? I would love to learn to play my piano chords on the guitar!!

About the lesson I tried them once and the problem was money but more so than money it was the added material I had to learn along with the music I had to learn at church.
December 05, 2005 11:07PM
Most guitars are tuned EADGBE -- the "extra" string on a 5-string bass is the lowest one.

About using the extra strings... I guess in terms of playing lead, it just gives you more range on the high end.

There are plenty of books out there that will help you sort out using a pick (assuming you don't on the bass), and basic fingering patterns for playing scales and chords. Some of the jazz chords are tricky to play -- your experience with the bass should help out here, but you'll still probably have to be patient with your hands as they get used to it!
kieran
February 20, 2006 02:11AM
pratice anytime you can i allways do at lunch breaks and inbtween classes and school and i can rip like a son of a @#$%&
Pintend
March 19, 2006 12:24AM
Tlove Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am not your traditonal student. I am 29 years
> old and I have learned to play by ear first. I am
> a Minister of Music at a church and now I want to
> learn how to read music. I want to learn the
> proper fingers for scales and unlock the chord
> logic of jazz so that I can implement that into my
> playing at church. I can read just not very fast,
> I have been using the excersises on this site and
> it has help a great deal. How often should I
> practice and what should I pratice? I play chords
> all the time but I could not tell you what kind of
> chords they are. For the church I have to learn
> music all the time but I do that by ear. I know
> about chords, and theroy and things like that. I
> need some advice

It sound like you and I have a lot in common. My problem was exactly like yours, meaning I to learned to play by ear first, and currently play for church. No offense! this is a common pratice in most african american churches which I am a part of. Playing by ear has its advantanges, for example the abilty to improve on the spot for those unexpected solo artist that want you to pick them up in the key of Bb. Playing by ear also have its disadvantages for example there is know basic knowledge of chord strutures, chord progression, how we can apply the scales, 7 modes etc. The best thing for me was to get an understanding of some basic music theory which I am still currently learning. An understanding of some basic theory has done wonders for my playing...I HAVE BEEN BORN AGAIN ON MY INTSTRUMENT!! I now know and understand what I am playing, the notes I am playing and what choices of notes I can play over chord progression which will give you the ability to add flava without having to try and play 20 notes to do so. My encouragement to you would be to get some lessons in basic music theory or do it your self but it is going to take a commitment to want to learn. Remember we know how to learn songs quick, so the desire to just stop is going to always be there because there is some satisfaction in learning songs, but not the JOY of knowing a song. Playing by ear, our frame of reference is to remember the finger position and location on the instrument to play the song, an understanding of theory we know how to play the song because we can already hear it.

Pintend

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login