Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

RYTHEM

Posted by Romios 
Romios
RYTHEM
November 12, 2005 02:33PM
Hello everyone.

Im a begining guitarist, I know quite a few songs and my fingering is getting pretty good, Ive been playing for about a year. My problem is sticking to the rythem, I cant seem to do it. I always go offbeat even when I play against a drum machine or metronome.

I just cant listen for the rythem and play the melody aswell, I realy need advice on how to do it. I can strum chords to the rythem with ease, but when it comes to playing the notes of melody I lose the rythem every time.

Please help me out!
Re: RYTHEM
November 15, 2005 11:55PM
Hello!
If you can strum along and stick to the beat, that's a good start. You might just be trying to go too fast... remember, you're trying to pay attention to a lot of different things, all at the same time!

You might have an easier time while you're getting the hang of rhythms if you actually put the guitar aside.

See if you can sing or whistle the melody along with the metronome. Do that until you feel really comfortable with it, and you're right on the beat without wandering off at all. You can tap your foot if it helps, or nod your head. You have to kind of get the feel of the rhythm in your body, so you know instinctively where the beat is without having to pay attention to it.

Then try it on the guitar again -- that should help.

-Rob
Zilliah Jean
November 21, 2005 08:39AM
Hello,
I have been playing for about 5 years and when it comes to sight reading, I can't read music i have so much trouble with it, but after we play it through the first time i can play it nearly perfect. I want to ask my band director for help, nut i don't want him to put me in the freshman band what do you think?
November 21, 2005 05:29PM
Step #1: Slow down and CLAP THE RHYTHYM before you pick up your instrument. Write in the beats as well. It makes a world of difference. THEN you can pick up your instrument and try it.

Good Luck!

Mollie
December 05, 2005 11:20PM
Zilliah Jean Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hello,
> I have been playing for about 5 years and when
> it comes to sight reading, I can't read music i
> have so much trouble with it, but after we play it
> through the first time i can play it nearly
> perfect. I want to ask my band director for help,
> nut i don't want him to put me in the freshman
> band what do you think?

I'd suggest just explaining this to your director. I think he'd understand that you want to work on your sight-reading on your own, but don't want to be switched to the other band. He will probably have some good suggestions for you, and can probably help you out. I'll bet you aren't the only one in the band with this problem, either -- there are lots of people with good music memory (like you have) that can get by forever without good reading skills... but you never see them playing first stand.

And frankly, putting you in freshman band probably wouldn't help, unless they are doing intense sight-reading exercises. If they just spend most of their time playing easier music, you're just going to memorize *that*, and then you won't even be improving your playing skills.

In some ways, it's *harder* for you to learn to read well, because you'll memorize a piece the first time you play through it. The trick is to just bite the bullet, and make yourself sightread lots of easy music... but only play each piece once or twice. As soon as you "get it", it's time to move on, since you aren't really reading any more.

-Rob
Ben
January 17, 2006 05:05PM
I have a difficult time putting it all together. Keeping the rythem and staying on beat. Is there a software program that I can use with my metronme that will improve my counting and ability to stay with the beat?
Thanks
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login