Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Zoltan Kodaly

Posted by Jessica 
Jessica
Zoltan Kodaly
November 20, 2005 10:12PM
In music theory class our teacher had a question. She asked What is the enharmonic solfedge to ti? So basically it would be Ti#. But what is it's technical name? If anyone could enlighten me on this subject. Please feel free to do so!
Thanks!
Re: Zoltan Kodaly
November 21, 2005 05:38PM
Jessica,

Ti# is not the same note as Ti. Enharmonic basically means the same. Look at a piano keyboard. A-flat is enharmonic to G-sharp. They're the same note. I'm not exactly sure what your teacher is looking for--I know that in some countries, Europe, Asia, etc., our Ti is their Si.

I learned solfege by intervals. Ti# would actually be Do, because it's a P8 (perfect octave) from your keynote(the key you're in). In other words, in the key of C Major, C is Do..........B is Ti............but...look at your piano keyboard--Ti# is C (Do).

Try the Wikipedia.org website under Music Theory/Solfege. There is a very good, very clear article in there.

Hey, send me the answer if you get this figured out. I will also ask my own music theory teacher.

I hope I helped a little.

Mollie
Jessica
November 22, 2005 09:32PM
Mollie!
Thanks for that help. However i realize that Ti# would be Do. But if you think about it if you had B, and rather than calling it B# or C-flat what would you call it? Giving it a separate name from the others. I'm still a little bit confused about what my teacher is asking however. But if your teacher knows get back to me! I would love to find out!
Jessica
November 30, 2005 05:21PM
Jessica,

I spoke to my music theory teacher and he said that Do-flat might be called De(pronounced "day"), because in our theory book, solfege symbols that have the 'o' in them use the 'e' when they are flatted. I also checked some websites from music programs at other colleges, they also said that when you lower a note a minor 2nd, you call the new solfege 'e'. This works for all scale degress except the supertonic (scale degree 2), which will go from Re to Ra. So, your answer is Do flat = De. My teacher also said there is no Ti#-because this note is actually Do!

Here's a question for you--What do you call Fa-Flat? I'm thinking it would be called Fe-which seems to go with what I wrote above!

Good Luck!

Mollie
Jessica
December 01, 2005 09:24PM
To answer your question. I'm pretty sure that Fa-flat is Fe. Our teacher is making us work on our aural skills as well as other things combined. So we have to chords with the solfedge. Like Do, Me, Sol, Me, Do.....per-say. So when we convert it to a minor chord.....its Do Me(may), Sol Me(may), Do. So i think that you are right in your deduction. Thanks for that help! If you ever need any, just yell!!
Jessica
March 21, 2006 12:45PM
It is indeed De' at first tho i thought you were talking about 'H' ~the elusive B natural, where the 'B' is Bb ~German, i think

«[www.hippsta.com]» Commercial Music Licenses, Advanced Music Theory, Private Music Lessons
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login