Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

accidentals

Posted by tobyharris 
accidentals
March 07, 2010 06:00PM
Sorry if this is really basic - I'm self-taught and never did theory. How long does an accidental (naturalisation of a single note, normally flat) last. Is it just to the end of the bar?
Re: accidentals
March 07, 2010 11:28PM
an accidental only last the length of the note. if you want for example every b to be flat you need to add your key signature.

Hope that helps!

Jaime
ttw
March 07, 2010 11:47PM
An accidental lasts to the end of the current measure. It acts only on the note indicated (not the same letter value at other octaves.) It's just a convention.
March 07, 2010 11:49PM
tobyharris Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sorry if this is really basic - I'm self-taught
> and never did theory. How long does an accidental
> (naturalisation of a single note, normally flat)
> last. Is it just to the end of the bar?

Yes, it lasts until the end of the bar or until cancelled by another accidental on the same line or space in the same bar. This holds true for any type of accidental, not just the type you mentioned.

edit: oops - ttw beat me to it. (must try harder :) )

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2010 11:52PM by Fretsource.
March 09, 2010 06:24AM
The way I like to look at an accidental is that it acts on the line or space it occurs on - and hence any note appearing on that line/space for the rest of the bar. So it needn't appear before every instance of that note in that bar. (And that's why it gets put before the note and not after it, as it would when writing the note letter in text.)

The difference from a key sig sharp or flat, of course (which can also be thought of as altering the line or space) is that the latter affects the note in every octave. An accidental only affects the line or space it's on.

"Courtesy" accidentals (confirming the return to key sig status, appearing in parentheses) may be used in following bars as a reminder. Not strictly necessary, but can help clarify in some cases.
March 09, 2010 03:57PM
Another trivia question,

Is an F in bar 2 an F sharp or an F natural, IF there is an F sharp with an accidental in bar 1, which is (apparently) tied to the un-accidentalled F in bar 2?

Clearly a negative response will change the tie to a slur.

Thanks all.
March 10, 2010 03:24PM
It would still be F#.
If not - if a slur was indicated - there would be a courtesy accidental (natural in this case) to confirm it.
March 10, 2010 06:50PM
Thanks v. much to everyone who's shone some some light on my idiot question. Really helpful, and really nice of you to not mock!

Toby
Author:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
tkyTb