Posted by Trent 
Trent
Modes...anyone..?
August 18, 2005 06:39PM
Lets talk modes....!!
embrace the bass
Re: Modes...anyone..?
August 24, 2005 06:48PM
ok, heres the deal. ionian is your standard major scale for e.g the C major scale, C D E F G A B C.

The numbers below (1-7) refer to the seven measures of the scale, so for C Ionian 1 is C ,2 is D, 3 is E and so on...

you'll see that in the other scales there are flats and sharps next to some of the numbers. This is because for all the modes all you have to play is the notes of the ionian scale with certain notes flatened or sharpened.

So the dorian scale is just the same as the ionian but with a flatened 3rd and 7th measure e.g C, D, Eb, F, G, A, Bb, C

phyrygian has a flatened 2nd 3rd 6th and 7th measure

ionian 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 1

dorian 1 2 b3 4 5 6 b7 1

phrygian 1 b2 b3 4 5 b6 b7 1

lydian 1 2 3 #4 5 6 7 1

mixolydian 1 2 3 4 5 6 b7 1

aolian 1 2 b3 4 5 b6 b7 1

locrian 1 b2 b3 4 5 b6 b7 1

these are the seven modes. make sure you learn them in order as shown above starting with ionian, and learn the names! this is important when you get to more advanced modal theory

I don't know if this is clear to you, if you dont understand perhaps someone else in the forums could help clarify all this. Good luck!
August 25, 2005 08:01PM
Learning the names in order is important -- I'm trying to remember now the phrase my theory teacher gave us to use; something ridiculous like "Ichabod, Do Pirates Like Munching Alligator Legs?" for I D P L M A L. Does anyone have one more sensible than this?

Anyway, the modes make a lot of sense if you just sit down at a piano and play only white keys, starting on C. Go up to C again, and back down -- this is Ionian. Now move up a key, and play the same scale (all white keys!), but start on D: that's Dorian. Neat, huh?

Keep on moving up -- all white keys starting on E is Phrygian, and so on up, in the order that <embrace the bass> listed them.

This is also useful to keep in mind also when you're learning how to write a key signature for the church modes; if you're playing in G mixolydian, the key signature looks like a C key signature with no sharps or flats (... because if you play the notes in a C scale but start on G, you get mixolydian).

-Rob
Templar
September 10, 2005 12:36PM
I got how the modes work.. i've tried to improvise to the tune BLUE MOON (key of F). it sounds good untill the part > Bb min7,Eb7,Ab maj7. How would i aply the modes to get the right notes here?

also if anyone could give me another chord sequence and what modes to use with it (that has lots of changes to it), i think i could get ideas from that too...

thank u

-templar
rfjerhwkj
June 03, 2006 04:52PM
I Don't Pretend Love Means A Lot
June 23, 2006 11:59AM
rfjerhwkj Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I Don't Pretend Love Means A Lot

Wait... is that "I don't pretend love means a lot", or "I don't pretend; love means a lot"? One way is cynical; the other is idealistic. All from a single punctuation mark!
Hakim
August 02, 2006 11:02AM
well, i have been studying the modal scales for the last few years and my great teacher has basically taught myself and my peers how to master them
First their names

ionian
dorian
phrygian
lydian
mixolydian
aeolian
locrian

the majority of the modes are either "major-like" or "minor-like", except for the
Jeffrey Dalmer one...locrian that had a tritone between one a five

Ionian- just like major
Dorian- like minor, except for the raise sixth
phrygian- like minor, except for a lowered second
lydian- like major except for raised fourth
mixoldian- like major except for lowered seventh

Now the locrian modes sounds like both major and minor and when you hear that scale and it sounds funky....then you know that it is...DORIAN!!! plus it had a tritone going up between the 1 and v...

i think i did i said everything right but if not email me!!!

Be Blessed
May 21, 2007 02:08PM
So why are they called modes, and not scales? Are there different sets of chords for them?
May 21, 2007 02:14PM
yes there are different set sets of chords for each mode; for example, my favorite mode of the major scales, phrygian, a chord that goes with it is a m7. for Aeolian(natural minor) you can play m7 , m9, m11, m13..so on and so forth.
May 21, 2007 02:24PM
So where can I find a list of the chords that go with each mode?
May 21, 2007 02:46PM
when I learned about modes and scales I learned through the book The Guitar Grimoire - scales and modes. It has every sclae and mode you can possibly need. Very Very helpful book indeed!
May 21, 2007 02:57PM
I have gotten it from the library before, but I don't remember chords. Were they in it?
May 21, 2007 03:40PM
yes, the chords that go with each mode are in it.
May 21, 2007 03:51PM
Thank you very much.
May 21, 2007 05:00PM
no prob, I appreciate your on going help with my rythmic malfunction as well lol
kirbyrocknroll
June 19, 2007 08:10PM
Ionian: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Dorian: 1 2 b3 4 5 6 b7
Phrygian: 1 b2 b3 4 5 b6 b7
Lydian: 1 2 3 #4 5 6 7
Mixolydian: 1 2 3 4 5 6 b7
Aeolian: 1 2 b3 4 5 b6 b7
Locrian: 1 b2 b3 4 b5 b6 b7

These are in relation to the major scale. So in relation to C major, C Aeolian has a flattened 3rd, 6th, and 7th.

Anyway, any chord that has a formula that fits into those mode formulas can help define the sound of a certain mode since the chord determines the mode.

Like, maj11 chords will work with the Ionian mode. The maj11 chord formula is 1 3 5 7 9 11, and the Ionian formula is 1 2(9) 3 4(11) 5 6 7. See how it fits perfectly?

What chord can work with the Lydian mode? Lydian is 1 2 3 #4 5 6 7, so what chords can we build from there?

Hmm...major chords (1 3 5), maj7 chords (1 3 5 7), maj9 chords (1 3 5 7 9), maj7#11 chords (1 3 5 7 #11), and more.

I hope this helped.
chopzy
June 25, 2007 09:19PM
Hi. if you're interested, I've had a website up for a while about the modes for guitar. I've got somewhat of a unique way of explaning and notating things. I'd like to think most with a knowledge of music theory would look at it and say "sure, that's the way it ought to be." :)

At any rate, please pay me a visit: [www.modes4guitar.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login