Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

need a spam deleter? I'll help

Posted by fluo2005 
need a spam deleter? I'll help
November 01, 2016 05:08AM
If this site needs a spam deleter, then I'll volunteer for a while. This would keep the postings clean. It could also be too much work, but I would only know after trying it out for a few weeks.

Several volunteers might be needed for this task. (It could also be that all forums are being invaded by agressive advertising, and that these parasites are willing to kill their hosts to push their products.)

Even though I am reorganizing music theory around the twelve natural sounds of the octave, I would not be pushing this theme in any way. I am offering my services with the view of making this site attractive for music theorists. That is my only goal.
Re: need a spam deleter? I'll help
November 02, 2016 01:58PM
Perhaps you could ask for some password in order to be able to get into the forum´s admin board. Greetings!
November 05, 2016 02:24PM
Hello Athair!

I just sent an email to admin suggesting we form a working group to protect the site from spambots. The job has become too much for one person, witness stevel's withdrawal. Two or three volunteers to clean the trash. A workgroup to come up with the different ways to prevent the automated takeover of free and open public forums for advertising purposes.

Would a volunteer workgroup be worthwhile?
November 05, 2016 04:06PM
I would also volunteer to help out when I can.

What's really needed though are stricter limits on who can post. Posters should need an account with a verified email address, like most boards require. That would go a long way towards alleviating the problem.

It would be a shame to lose this place.

Check out this textbook on Four Part Harmony.
November 05, 2016 08:23PM
I would delete from time to time the spam i´d encountered (lately, i´m surfing the web on a daily basis; yet i couldn´t make for sure that this would be the same in the future), had i gotten the password (or something) to do it. Anyway, it seems either like the amount of spam has increased lately or is it a huge one; i mean, it would be useful (not to say mandatory) to improve the entrance requisites (as Jumpingjackflash is pointing); for instance, i recall some blogs that required some word-image-decoding as a sort of elementary filtering-device, etc. Greetings!

ps: an alternative approach perhaps would be to match the new posters and an email-based registry process, of the sort: whenever a new user wanted to post in the site, he would email the actual admin to make the inputs. By completely precluding the automatic registry process, it seemed tlike he spammers would be helpless...

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2016 08:37PM by Athair. (view changes)
November 15, 2016 07:18PM
Hi JumpingJackFlash and Athair,

Admin did not reply to my email. Three of us have already volunteered to remove spam. We have also suggested concrete ways to prevent the spambots from registering as humans, and drowning the site in spam. But it's not just the spam.

Keeping a strong forum in good working order involves many tasks and requires teamwork. There is just too much work for only two people, Admin and Theorist in Chief. Three new volunteers is a good start, and shows that interest and dedication exist for keeping the site.

But several more people are required because we all have other pursuits that demand our attention. So we are all part-timers in music theory.

I also asked Admin to create a special section to welcome all those who feel the need to develop and improve music theory. Many have already posted here, and would return because expressing ideas to others is necessary for creativity. That is where I would post my work in the future.

Stevel, along with his able assistants, would be welcome to continue their classical expositions in the classical theory section, which seemed top notch to me.

Offering a forum to the public requires both time and money. The money aspect needs to be considered as well.
November 15, 2016 08:14PM
I guess that a starting point would be getting the password to enter the admin board of the forum; yet i´m not aware of how could that be possible; perhaps if, by hazard or something, Stevel entered to the forum he could help us to get the password (Stevel, would you help us to get the password?). Greetings
November 18, 2016 03:38PM
Problem is, at this point nobody is going to even see this thread (or any other of relevance) because it is literally buried among reams and reams of infuriating spam.
I've sent a message to the powers-that-be too, and got no reply. So I can only assume they don't care, which means, I'm afraid, this site is doomed.

Check out this textbook on Four Part Harmony.
November 18, 2016 08:28PM
Some of the guys that used to be here were also active members of the Accoustic Guitar Forum; perhaps by means of asking there for a password...( for instance, at the General Acoustic Guitar Discussion ) we could get a hint of something...

Have a careful look at the guys at this thread of mine in there.

Greetings!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2016 08:40PM by Athair. (view changes)
December 14, 2016 07:31AM
Hello,
It's not a question of not caring, I'm just spread far too thin overall... and my side projects have really suffered for it.

I'm not sure who's still around to help out here, and what the interest level is -- I can set up more mods, though, especially now that SteveL isn't able to keep that going.

In any case, I won't let the content here be lost; though it's true that getting the site to a stable state is non-trivial.

Regards,
Rob Whelan
Creator, eMusicTheory.com
December 14, 2016 07:38AM
I've added moderator privs to you three, thank you so much for your interest in helping!
December 14, 2016 08:59AM
Thanks!!
December 14, 2016 02:56PM
Thank you Admin ! Sincerely, I am very pleased. I will be checking for spam on a regular basis.

Do have some ideas to improve the site, but am not in a rush as the site must be secured from attack first, and returned to normalcy.

I can help create a chatroom where improvements can be discussed. Let me know if this is of interest to you all.

Don't see why stevel should not come back now that the site will be cleaned. Maybe a rest for a while will do him good. His knowledge of music theory can be termed organic.

Am too busy to post right now, but will have some things to show soon.
December 25, 2016 05:29PM
Yay!

Now bring Steve back!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login