Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Looking for melodic ideas

Posted by uncle808us 
Looking for melodic ideas
January 14, 2017 08:01PM
I am looking for musical melodic, rhythmic. harmony ideas to convey the emotion of doubt.Uncertainty and or Skepticism.
Does any one have any ideas?
I Thank you.
This is for lesson to myself about creating song ideas by musically writing for emotions.

MacBook Pro 15 in.  OS X 11,  Logic Pro, iPod 5 iPad mini 2
Re: Looking for melodic ideas
January 15, 2017 03:30PM
Use dissonance.

Improvise over your harmony or chord progression using minor and major seconds, sixths and sevenths, also fourths and augmented fourths. Also avoiding standard chord resolutions will help.

So if you're soloing over a C chord (C-E-G), using D, F, A and B notes will add tension (or uncertainty, or a floating quality), Db, F#, Ab and Bb will add even more grit to it.

Just experiment with all the notes that are not part of a C major chord and you'll certainly find those that create the effect you're looking for.
January 15, 2017 04:46PM
Excellent advice, thanks for the idea I was stuck thinking rhythmically Now I will also add harmonically to my process.

January 16, 2017 01:18PM
An easy example to create uncertainty would be to avoid the 3rd of a chord for a while. Take an A5 chord (A-E-A) and on top of it just fiddle around with an upper E note, go down to D, than to B. Play around with these 3 notes for a while before settling on a C# which finally makes it an A major chord. Simple approach, but it works.

Next time around play the same thing but now settle on a C natural instead of C#, making it an A minor chord.

Then when you go back at it for a third time, the ear will wonder if you're playing in A major or A minor which creates... uncertainty! :)
January 16, 2017 06:11PM
Thank you your advice is well taken I have used diminished chords and they are giving me the flavor I was seeking. I will try you new approach as well. Cheers.

January 17, 2017 03:07PM
Good idea to use diminished chords. Each one can resolve to four different chords. For example Bdim (B-D-F-Ab) can resolve to C, Eb, Gb and A).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login