Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

A minor to C minor - which mode is this?

Posted by Loemasch 
A minor to C minor - which mode is this?
January 31, 2017 03:58PM
Hello everyone,

found this song I made years ago when I didn't know about modes at all, which switches between A minor and C minor (instead of major). Sounds very Dorian where the appropriate chord would be F major instead of A minor. It's none of the basic modes so I'm guessing it is some kind of altered mode? It definitely works, has a mysterious scary sound to it.
Re: A minor to C minor - which mode is this?
February 01, 2017 09:19AM
Modes and keys are different things.

If it's in A minor or C minor, those are keys, and that's what the music is "in". Nothing to do with modes.

Check out this textbook on Four Part Harmony.
February 01, 2017 10:59AM
I think you misunderstood.

The chord progression of this song is i biii i biii, the i chord being A minor and the biii chord being C minor. There is no flat 3 minor chord in any of the church minor modes so I'm thinking about a lesser known altered scale like Hungarian or Byzantine (examples).
Basically I need to know if there is any minor mode out there where the 1 and 3 chords are minor (not Locrian since it's 1 chord is a dim).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2017 11:02AM by Loemasch. (view changes)
February 02, 2017 02:59PM
Hello!

First of all you can't have an E and an Eb in the same scale. So let's rename Eb: D#

This leaves us with five notes:

E - ? - G - A - ? - C - D#

We don't know about the 2nd and 5th notes, but it could be in E harmonic minor, if we assume the two missing notes are F# and B.

The Am minor chord would be built on the 4th degree and the Cm would be built using the 6th degree, but then adding the 7th (D#) and 3rd (G) notes of the scale, which harmonically speaking is not a minor chord. But enharmonically it's ok...

It doesn't really answer your question, but it's all I've got! ;)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2017 03:20PM by dramis. (view changes)
February 06, 2017 06:10AM
Perhaps you could mind the possibility of two modes instead of one: for instance, one ascending mode plus a descending one. Greetings.
February 14, 2017 07:34AM
It's not a specific mode, it's just a relationship of chromatic mediants.

Like in the Doors' "Light my fire" whose verse alternates between Am and F#m.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2017 07:34AM by cyberlp23. (view changes)
Viz
February 18, 2017 12:42AM
I suppose you could try and say you're playing in the 6th mode of harmonic minor, but you're not really, you're just in c minor and the piece is not diatonic. Same as if you played E D C progression, all major chords. You're in E major (probably mixolydian actually), but you have a C major chord not a C# minor chord. Or the blues with its 7 chords - going from V7 to Ib7, for example.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login