Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Key modulations in Bach's Prelude

Posted by PianistKim 
Key modulations in Bach's Prelude
February 05, 2017 07:51PM
Hello,

I'm studying Bach's Prelude from The Well-Tempered Keyboard. The musical piece is in the two links below:

www.dropbox.com/s/3gigoj3ysk0eosb/Untitled-98.jpg?dl=0
www.dropbox.com/s/fa4sd4wlxety58y/Untitled-99.jpg?dl=0

For my assignment, I need to identify the key changes in this piece.
Two websites that i've looked at identifies the key changes:

The first image in this website shows the key changes
www.bachwelltemperedclavier.org/pf-c-major.html

The website below says that there are '4 such structural sections in this prelude', which are C minor, Eb major, C minor, C
www-personal.umich.edu/~siglind/wtc-i-02.htm

These two websites contradict each other because they have different key changes. Which website is right?
Re: Key modulations in Bach's Prelude
February 06, 2017 01:32PM
Several thoughts:

You shouldn't rely on the Internet. Who set you this assignment? - They must have given you the tools to be able to do it yourself, otherwise what's the point? It might be better identifying which aspects of the exercise are unclear or difficult for you; sorting specific details like that out will be a more fruitful approach in the long run.

> "The first image in this website shows the key changes "

Well, it shows the chord changes which is not the same thing. The chord changes will help you determine the key of course, but can you not work out the chords by looking at the original score? - This would be a necessary first step.

> "The website below says that there are '4 such structural sections in this prelude',"

That's talking about a different prelude. You should be looking at I/I (C major) rather than I/II (C minor).

Check out this textbook on Four Part Harmony.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login