Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Melody Writing - Music Theory Exam *Help Please!*

Posted by Rb33 
Melody Writing - Music Theory Exam *Help Please!*
February 16, 2017 07:44AM
I'm trying to write a 12 bar melody for the Trinity grade 8 theory exam. My current structure is:-

A - Tonic key
B - Dominant key
A - Tonic key

How do I modulate to dominant and back?! What cadences should i use?

Any advice woukd be greatly appreciated
Re: Melody Writing - Music Theory Exam *Help Please!*
February 16, 2017 09:30AM
Are you supposed to have some background at all in order to tackle the modulation-issue that you are talking about? I'm asking this because is not a trivial task; as far as i know, such a modulation could be tackled both within and without a fixed number of measures/bars; assuming you were able to get the modulation done by letting the number of measures unfixed, you could thereafter try to reduce the harmonic output so as to fit into the required.number, etc.

Greetings

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2017 09:36AM by Athair. (view changes)
February 16, 2017 11:34AM
Thanks for your reply!

There is no requirement of a fixed number of bars in which the melody must modulate; I just need to include a modulation to create some contrast in the B section. I was provided with the first 2 bars only and have managed to complete the A sections.

(Tried to insert an image of the exercise but forum refuses to post message!! I've tried to describe it below)

A (Bar 1-4) Begins in C Major modulates to the dominant G Major in bar 4 with a perfect cadence in G major

B (Bar 5-8) I'm unsure how to begin the B Section - how do I continue in the dominant key?
What cadence should I use in bar 7 and 8 to return to C Major?

A (Bar 9-12) C Major

Hope this makes sense - I just need a simple structure for a tonic, dominant, tonic melody but I am so confused!
February 16, 2017 01:06PM
Here you have an example :

I - - - IV+13 - - - VI - - - V6 - - - (×2)

IV - - V IV - - II I - - - V - - -

I - - II* I - - VI V6 - - - II* - - - V - - - I - - - II* - - - II*7 - - - III - - - II* - - - V - - - - - - - V7 - - - - - - - I

You might make up the melody issue based on such a progression; the II* chord adressed the Dominant degree/chord of the V- key. You had a deceptive cadence ( II*7 to III instead of II*7 to V) at the V-key plus a perfect cadence later in the same key (II* to V) and a perfect cadence at the end (V7 to I); greetings.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2017 01:46PM by Athair. (view changes)
February 17, 2017 03:30PM
Thanks so much for taking the time to get back to me - i really appreciate your help. Have a lovely day!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login