Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Key vs Mode (sorry) - Little Wing

Posted by rvn 
rvn
Key vs Mode (sorry) - Little Wing
February 17, 2017 07:04AM
Wow, didn't realise this forum was alive again, cool! Are we carrying on without our doyens Stevel & JonR?

Here goes..

With reference to Little Wing..out of pure "theoretical" curiosity (don't worry I'm not thinking about this when I play it )

I note a lot of people (forums, "teachers on vids" etc) stating this song is in the "key" of Em - I can see how this is a simple explanation.

Could it actually be considered G Mixolydian? (based on the FMaj chord?)

Is there a "name" for a minor progression that has a flat II? IE a relative minor of mixolydian?

Be gentle & thanks.

cheers...
Re: Key vs Mode (sorry) - Little Wing
February 17, 2017 11:33AM
It could probably be said that the song is in the key of Em, though, with a (little) extension (through the use of bVII, i mean regarding the relative major key, of course ) of the cadence when it goes like G-F-C-D.

The inclusion of F in G-F-C-D instead of making G-( )-C-D enables the cadence to get some feature of a key either above or below in the Circle of Fithts or Fourths, respectively, in contrast to that of G-( )-C-D; thereby empowering it comparatively to the later.

Greetings.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2017 02:42PM by Athair. (view changes)
February 17, 2017 01:56PM
I don't know the song, but the relevant question is does E feel like home or does G? Where is the centre?

It's usually best not to overcomplicate things though; occam's razor is usually apt.

As for the flat II, it could be a Neapolitan Sixth.
But again, I don't know the song so it would depend on context.

Check out this textbook on Four Part Harmony.
rvn
February 19, 2017 08:22PM
Thanks for the conversation guys. Home is definitely Em and thinking about the affect on the cadence is also good advice.

Cheers
February 22, 2017 05:58PM
Without I - V - I, any music is a non-key or non-tonal type of music.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login