Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Newbie here... Some help please.

Posted by orlaboutorla 
Newbie here... Some help please.
April 08, 2017 02:09AM
Hello everyone!

So I have an issue... Please don't throw rotten tomatoes!

Funnily enough I am a self taught guitarist and have been for a long time and I fumble my way around the piano but I have no real music theory training. I write and produce a bit of electronic music too.

The Issue

A few years back I had produced and written a dance track with a particular theme, it was a repetitive groove and without going into too many details for the sake of boring everyone it was written for a dance piece in an amateur play about a strip club. As it was this quick 4 chords over 1 bar repetition at 126bpm that didn't really need to go anywhere I threw all the rules out (I think) and used, F#m, Fm, D, Db... Go ahead play them, you will see why I used them. Now please excuse my naivety but I cant find anywhere to say these should ever go together. BUT they sounded right for this project.

The thing is, I have since revisited this track and I want to use the vocal in a new 'remixed' track but with a different feel. But since the song or vocals are written around those chords I am struggling or doubting my ears... I found some chords that sound good, and the feel is right but I cant see how they work 'in theory'. Are my ears just really bad? Or can these work because the original chords F#m, Fm, D, Db are kind of a hybrid key???

So I found that I could use these chords: (Bar) 1:F#m 2: F#m: 3: F#m 4: F#m/Edim/Am

Now I know that is probably like nails on a chalkboard to all you real musicians and that in the key of F#m that Am should be a A. Can someone help? Are there any others I could use that fit the original vocal bearing in mind it was some junkie chord progression albeit very short!

My other problem is the bass line... Of course some notes in the key work and some dont is there a solution? Hybrid bassline?

Should I just drop this or is there someone that can help this obvious novice out?

Kind Regards

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2017 02:12AM by orlaboutorla. (view changes)
Re: Newbie here... Some help please.
April 09, 2017 01:20AM
orlaboutorla Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hello everyone!
>
> So I have an issue... Please don't throw rotten
> tomatoes!
>
> Funnily enough I am a self taught guitarist and
> have been for a long time and I fumble my way
> around the piano but I have no real music theory
> training. I write and produce a bit of electronic
> music too.
>
> The Issue
>
> A few years back I had produced and written a
> dance track with a particular theme, it was a
> repetitive groove and without going into too many
> details for the sake of boring everyone it was
> written for a dance piece in an amateur play about
> a strip club. As it was this quick 4 chords over 1
> bar repetition at 126bpm that didn't really need
> to go anywhere I threw all the rules out (I think)
> and used, F#m, Fm, D, Db... Go ahead play them,
> you will see why I used them. Now please excuse my
> naivety but I cant find anywhere to say these
> should ever go together. BUT they sounded right
> for this project.

Hello

You won't find anywhere that says these chords go together, but more importantly, you won't find anywhere that says they CAN'T go together. That's because ALL chords can go together. It all depends on the sound you want. Think about it. If someone asked you to compose a nursery rhyme like Twinkle twinkle little star, your chords would be useless.They could work very well in a science fiction movie soundtrack, but they would be unable to convey the required 'feel' of a nursery rhyme. So you have used them in a completely different context where those chords work fine.

There's no key involved as no key contains all 4 chords, Your music isn't key-based unless two of the chords (Fm and Db or F# and D) are treated as brief passing chords and one of the others is established as the primary 'tonal centre'. If all 4 are treated equally, then it's not in any key - and that's fine..
>
> The thing is, I have since revisited this track
> and I want to use the vocal in a new 'remixed'
> track but with a different feel. But since the
> song or vocals are written around those chords I
> am struggling or doubting my ears... I found some
> chords that sound good, and the feel is right but
> I cant see how they work 'in theory'. Are my ears
> just really bad? Or can these work because the
> original chords F#m, Fm, D, Db are kind of a
> hybrid key???
>
> So I found that I could use these chords: (Bar)
> 1:F#m 2: F#m: 3: F#m 4: F#m/Edim/Am
>
> Now I know that is probably like nails on a
> chalkboard to all you real musicians

No - you can't say it will probably sound like nails on a chalkboard to us, because we don't know the context. It could be a brilliant combination of chords in your chosen context - or it could be like nails on a chalkboard. There's nothing wrong with the chords - it's how you used them that makes the difference between good and bad.We might say "Great chord choice but your melody is off" or "Great melody but those chords don't harmonise it well" or even "Great and unusual chords and a cool melody to match". We can't know without hearing it.

>and that in
> the key of F#m that Am should be a A.

But you're not in the key of F#m - You're not in any key. Not all music has to be key-based, and even if you ARE in the key of F#m, it doesn't mean you can't use A minor as a chromatic chord - and if you want a fancy term for it, you can say that F#m and Am are in a chromatic mediant relationship.

Can someone
> help? Are there any others I could use that fit
> the original vocal bearing in mind it was some
> junkie chord progression albeit very short!

We don't know the original melody so it's impossible to choose chords that go well with it.
>

> My other problem is the bass line... Of course
> some notes in the key work and some dont is there
> a solution? Hybrid bassline?

Use the chord roots and 5ths to give you a basic bassline then expand from there
>
> Should I just drop this or is there someone that
> can help this obvious novice out?
>
> Kind Regards
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login