Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Borodin's Polovtsian Dances chords

Posted by Alejandr0 
Borodin's Polovtsian Dances chords
July 18, 2017 03:56AM
Hi,

I'm having some difficulty to identify Borodin's Polovtsian Dances chords. Here on the image you'll find the firsts measures of those dances introduction :

Can you help me to identify the possible chords used or NCTs ?

Knowing that maybe all notes are not forced to fall on these two categories, can you at least help me to find some harmonic structure on this ?

Thanks !
Re: Borodin's Polovtsian Dances chords
July 18, 2017 12:20PM
Hi! Not sure what trouble you might be having.

It appears the bass is pedaling on an A. While in the second measure there is an G Major with melody followed by a G Minor Maj 7. The G Major with an A pedal will create the sound of an A9 chord - a dominant chord craving resolution. When the Bb and F# are added half way through the second measure, it is altering the dominant chord a bit by making an A b9,13. Harmonically this sets up a lot of tension that gets resolved in measure 3 with the D Major chord. Note the strong descending chromatic line of B to Bb to A within that chord progression. The 13 of the A b9,13 chord is F#, which harmonically carries over into the third of the D Major chord.

Not sure if I really helped or hindered, but that's what I see on a cursory scan of those three measures.

Cool stuff! Thanks for sharing!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login