Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Notation

Posted by Andrew Roberts 
Notation
August 12, 2017 02:38AM
Hello
I am new to this forum so looking forward to it!

I am composing piano pieces at grade 3/4 level and have a question about the 8va.... notation.

I have a 40 bar piano duet in which the RH player needs to play the whole piece, both hands, an octave higher. I am unsure whether to use the 8va sign across the whole piece - which seems excessive - or is the convention to use 'sempre' after the instruction or simple to insert text such as 'to the end'.
Any comments and help greatly appreciated.

thanks
Andrew Roberts, York.
Re: Notation
August 12, 2017 05:51AM
If it's the whole piece, you can just put an "8" above the clef to indicate it should be played an octave higher.

Check out this textbook on Four Part Harmony.
August 12, 2017 06:42AM
many thanks JJF, I will do just that.
regards
Andrew.9nJKD
August 12, 2017 12:38PM
Hello JJF
Do you mind me asking how to paste into the body of the text box; I need to show a couple of bars of piano music but the image won't paste into my post.
thanks
Andrew.
Re: Piano music Notation
August 13, 2017 12:23PM
Hello
I have a question regarding the use of ties versus voices. I have composed an ordinary bar of piano music in 4/4 time and the note on the third beat lasts 2 beats, while there is a fourth note as well, so two voices.
Is the convention to use a tied note or, as I would normally, use a minim and add the fourth note as a separate voice.
Sorry, I haven't found out how to paste an example of this into the body of this text box. (Maybe there is special formatting - I'm not clear)
thanks
Andrew.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login