Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Eighth Note Beaming Question

Posted by GuitarGuy570 
Eighth Note Beaming Question
August 14, 2017 10:17AM
Hi all! This is my first time on here and I have a question. I am trying to write out a jazzy lick that a friend of mine found (he doesn't know any theory) and I can't decide which way to best beam the eighth notes. I plan on using this in a song, so I want it to be in 4/4. I realize that putting it in 12/8 would make this a lot easier, but it doesn't fit with the aesthetic I am going for. I can't decide whether to beam the eighth notes like normal and just put accents, or to beam them in the second, strange fashion. I have been playing music for around 10 years and jazz for 6, but I can't remember if I have ever seen eighth notes beamed across a bar line, or if there is a better way to do this. Also, is there a real name for this kind of rhythmic clave? I feel like i have heard it before but I can't put a finger on it. Thanks!

i1149.photobucket.com/albums/o590/GuitarGuy570/Screen%20Shot%202017-08-14%20at%201.09.51%20PM_zpsaugbacqe.png (4 notes per beam)

i1149.photobucket.com/albums/o590/GuitarGuy570/Screen%20Shot%202017-08-14%20at%201.07.49%20PM_zpstmfecfwt.png (3 notes per beam)
Re: Eighth Note Beaming Question
August 19, 2017 04:10AM
I think the aesthetic should be a personal choice, but I have a preference for the diagonal "beaming" thing, both look readable and clear though. Not any clave I've heard, a variation on a son clave 3/2?
Re: Eighth Note Beaming Question
August 21, 2017 05:49PM
Hi GuitarGuy570,

Photobucket no longer allows for third party hosting unless you pay to upgrade. I tried both your links, and did not get your image, but got a message requesting an upgrade instead.

Here is a free site that claims to allow free third party hosting:

h.t.t.p://postimages.org/

"Post your images here. Get permanent links for Facebook, Twitter, message boards and blogs"

Haven't yet tried it out yet. Can you try it out for us?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login