Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Weird Jazz Harmonization Question

Posted by GuitarGuy570 
Weird Jazz Harmonization Question
August 14, 2017 08:10PM
Hi all! I recently made a post about this lick that my friend came across, and I realized I had no idea how to harmonize it. I have studied jazz harmony quite a bit but this has me stumped. The only thing I have been able to dream up is maybe the A Whole Tone Scale? At first I thought Am Pentatonic, because that is what all of the accented notes spell out, minus a D, and my friend uses this in a jazz/blues setting. But I couldn't get it to work in a normal blues setting, the tension notes didn't seem to fit. And A Whole Tone doesn't seem to work either, because as you can see in the second image I highlighted all of the notes in A Whole Tone as green and those that are not as red and the scale tones don't seem to follow the accents, or any pattern, until the last two groups of eighth notes. I'm trying to use this in a song I am writing so any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

i1149.photobucket.com/albums/o590/GuitarGuy570/Screen%20Shot%202017-08-14%20at%201.07.49%20PM_zpstmfecfwt.png (non-highlighted passage)

i1149.photobucket.com/albums/o590/GuitarGuy570/Screen%20Shot%202017-08-14%20at%2011.02.27%20PM_zpsdaopj8o8.png (A Whole Tone scale notes highlighted)
Re: Weird Jazz Harmonization Question
August 14, 2017 08:46PM
Hmmm.... I'm having trouble accessing your images to see the notes. Not sure why. It appears to load your photobucket page, but not the image and says something about needing to update an account - which I presume is yours(?) cuz I don't have one.
August 15, 2017 08:39AM
I tried going to the link from a friend's computer and it worked so I think it may be your computer. Maybe try it again? I'm sorry I'm not more help but this is my first time using photobucket.
August 15, 2017 11:41AM
Shoot! Perhaps another user will have more success. Sorry.
August 16, 2017 12:36PM
Photobucket is where I used to upload the images I wanted to appear in my posts to this forum. They recently sent me a notice that this service was discontinued unless I became a paying member. I did not.

Two days ago, I came across this web link on Steemit by chance. This website specializes in providing image links to posts on forums. Haven't used it yet.

h.t.t.p://postimages.org/

"Post your images here. Get permanent links for Facebook, Twitter, message boards and blogs"

Send your images there, and upgrade your post with the new links for us.
August 16, 2017 07:20PM
The links are updated! They are in a response on the bottom of the thread.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2017 07:27PM by GuitarGuy570. (view changes)
August 16, 2017 07:22PM
Here is the updated album for the images:
h t t p s://postimg.org/gallery/1pvs9rm40/
August 17, 2017 04:28PM
Ah! I see notes! C=

That's a lot of tritones. You said you were interested in harmonizing it. Is that with the intent of added a harmony to it, or, as I suspect, to add chordal accompaniment? What's your ultimate goal here?

The last three sets of, let's call them triplets, are simply tritones. I'd think you could do most anything you want with them. They have, as a group, no tonal key center.

You could extract a tonal key center from either one of the first two triplets - the first one being most suggestive of Bb major (A, D#, A# or A, Eb, Bb) or in this case maybe G Minor. The second triplet (E, B, F) is C Major/A Minor, so it's no wonder it "resolves" to the next triplet - the C tritone. But the tritone robs that resolution of completion.

Yeah, I'm inclined after a quick look to place this lick in G Minor with adjustments. It would be a blues, with forays into major (B as major third), dorian minor (E as major 6th), and harmonic/melodic minor (F# as major 7th).

Anyway. Weird lick. It's just not going to fit nicely as a whole into any particular pocket - seems to me. Thanks for post!
August 17, 2017 05:39PM
Yeah, my intent is to do some chordal accompaniment. My friend who discovered it just likes to throw it in over a blues progression but i was trying to find a way to better utilize it. My first idea was to accompany each triplet with its own designated chord: so A#maj7, E7(b9), C7b5, C#dim7, B7/G, Gm9. So definitely a nonfunctional chord progression, but I couldn't really think of other things to use. I also made it resolve to Gm in the end. I was thinking maybe a base around G melodic minor? A#maj7 makes sense in natural minor and descending melodic minor, E7(b9) could be a modulation to Bb with a sharp sixth, C7b5 makes sense in ascending melodic minor but not descending, C#dim7 doesn't really fit anywhere, B7/G also doesn't fit anywhere, and of course Gm9 fits in Gm. So overall, unless the 3rd to last and 2nd to last chords are just passing chords, I think this is best left as atonal music. But if anyone else with more theory knowledge than I wants to comment, I would be more than happy to hear your suggestions. Thanks!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login