Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Syncopation or not?

Posted by Golf 
Syncopation or not?
August 31, 2017 08:01AM
I've been listening to Peter Garbiel's Solsbury Hill a fair bit recently and always thought that the last note of each line landed on the downbeat of the 7/4 but after looking at the sheet it's actually a 16th before the downbeat at 7.75. However when for example singing the first line "Climbing up on Solsbury Hill" I find that by the time you've started singing the word "Hill" the emphasis does not really feel out of place on beat 1 even though you start singing it a 16th before so is this actually syncopation or not?
Re: Syncopation or not?
September 01, 2017 11:21PM
I'm gonna say not. No syncopation.

I don't trust transcribed vocal parts. In many that I have seen, the transcriber tries to capture every nuance of the singer's version of the song - down to 16th note and 32nd note adjustments. They throw in all sorts of notes that don't really belong as part of the core melody. Embellishments, slow down or anticipation of notes, are just part of the singer's expression of the melody. And all too often in today's horrifying pop music, it's histrionics. Even award winning singers are suffering it. It's a disease. Melodic anticipations simply are not part of the core melody and should not be part of a reasonable facsimile of the song. In Solsbury Hill, Peter Gabriel uses all sorts of tempo variations in his vocal delivery of the melody. If a note is a 16th note before the downbeat, put it on the downbeat. When you sing it, anticipate it if that's what feels right to you.

Cool tune though! C=
Viz
Re: Syncopation or not?
October 04, 2017 10:33PM
It's just a 'pushed' note.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login