Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Does composition rests upon minor 7th?

Posted by Athair 
Does composition rests upon minor 7th?
September 08, 2017 04:23PM
Does.composition (counterpoint-wise) rests upon minor 7th; assuming it not to be a consonance (neither perfect nor imperfect consonance), on one hand; and to be the "best" of dissonances (for.instance, "better" than Major.7th)?
Re: Does composition rests upon minor 7th?
September 11, 2017 07:17AM
In general, a minor 7th is seen as a dissonance in counterpoint. Interestingly, the fourth is also seen as dissonant in traditional counterpoint practice.
September 11, 2017 10:14AM
The (perfect) fourth is usually considered dissonant only in relation to one part above a bass. So, it applies whenever there are only two parts, but in works with more parts, fourths between the top voices are normally accepted (just not involving the lowest voice).

I'm afraid I don't really understand the OP.

Check out this textbook on Four Part Harmony.
September 11, 2017 10:48AM
Thank you! I must admit the OP.was hardly intelligible; i was trying to get the role of minor 7th in the process of taking some melody from an initial one; for instance, in elementary.CP you could have a second melody (CP) to an initial one (Cantus Firmus) made up upon some.combination of perfect plus imperfect consonances.

Anyway, for either compositional purposes or analysis, it might be useful from time to time to have dissonant CP (at the top you could have CPs all over the 8ve, thay is 12); and minor 7ths are sometimes among the most handable ones; etc.

The context would.be related to Harmonic Regions in the sense of Schonberg's Structural.Functions of Harmony.

Greetings!

Ps: the OP was poorly put, so to speak.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2017 10:53AM by Athair. (view changes)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login