Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Gm7 to C7 Chord Progression

Posted by AvocadoFruit 
Gm7 to C7 Chord Progression
December 22, 2017 06:50AM
Hi guys,

I am having a hard time analysing this simple Im7 - IVdom7 chord progression. The Cdom7 does not belong to the natural minor scale, so I cannot simply refer to this as a I - IV progression. The same goes for the harmonic minor scale. Does the chord belong to the melodic minor scale? Could I refer to this as a I - IV progression in relation to the melodic minor scale? Or would it be better to refer to C7 as a borrowed chord from another mode/scale?

Thanks in advance :)
Re: Gm7 to C7 Chord Progression
December 22, 2017 10:25AM
Music is not written in scales, it is written in keys.

In the minor key, the sixth and seventh notes are variables. They can occur according to key signature, or be raised a semitone (half step).

So in G minor, Eb and E-natural are both diatonic, as are F-natural and F#.
(Though for good part-writing, you would normally expect the E-natural to rise to an F#, and an F# to rise to a G)

Within G minor therefore, both C major and C minor are possible chords. C7 is therefore also possible.

It would depend on how it's used though, another interpretation might also be possible.

Check out this textbook on Four Part Harmony.
Viz
December 23, 2017 12:38AM
Whenever you get a i minor and a IV Major (forget the 7 for a sec), you are playing a song written in Dorian.
January 20, 2018 04:45AM
Gm7 to C7 is a ii - V in the key of F major.

Both these chords are in the key of F major, and C7 would normally resolve to the 1 chord afterwards (F).
January 20, 2018 07:47AM
to JumpingJackFlash:

The link to Four Part Harmony is no longer available:

"Classroom Resource
Our sincere apologies for the classroom resources website being unavailable at the moment.
Many thanks."
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login