Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Determining SUS chords

Posted by jonel 
Determining SUS chords
April 09, 2018 02:59AM
Hi All,
I thought I understood the reasoning behind the suspended chord but now I'm not sure. I understand that harmonising a note that did not belong to the chord would be a particular problem if the harmonised note was a fourth of the supporting chord. For example (key of C), if the chord was C (C E G) and the note was F then the E an F would be a real problem of dissonance. The tension can be eased by raising the E of the C chord from it's third to F as the fourth (and so suspending the the third of the C chord). But when I came across the suspension for note B with a supporting F chord (F A C). On this basis I would have expected the A to be raised B to make Fsus4 but in fact I see it as specified as Fsus#4. So now I try to delve a bit further on this only to discover that the sus 4 is defined as being one half step above the third of the chord and sus 2 being one full step below the the third of the chord. This works for C major but not for some of the other chords.

Can anybody resolve (pun intended) this for me please?

Thanks

Jonel
Re: Determining SUS chords
April 11, 2018 10:48PM
One of the rationales for suspended chords is, as far as i ve got to know, that they enables some compound harmonic framework above a given set of notes played out upon a given number of parts: for instance, in the example C G C E becoming C G C F you would have a sort of twofold harmonic framework through the upper part working and shifting upon the C G C parts.

The triadic chord needs from time to time to be linked to some non-triadic chords for either harmonic or melodic reasons: seventh chords, suspended chords, etc.

You might also vary the number of parts or change the disposition of chords for the same purpose, etc.

Greetings
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login