Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

voice leading

Posted by hfd 
hfd
voice leading
June 27, 2018 12:21AM
Hi
Are the composers of the romantic era follow the rules of voice leading like classic composers?. One of them (Rachmaninoff).
Thank you.
Re: voice leading
July 17, 2018 05:29PM
The way i see it, there are other issues just as important as voice-leading principles. For instance, the relation between melodic themes and harmony/harmony regions, etc. Greetings
hfd
July 18, 2018 12:40AM
Thank you Athair for the reply.
I post the same message on a few forums. and you are the first the reply after 3 weeks.
Can you please clarify for me what you mean by ( the relation between melodic themes and harmony/harmony regions, etc). I'm a little bit confused. Thank you Again.
July 19, 2018 01:53PM
The way i see it, voice-leading rules are a sort of harmony-approach; that is, a way through which the student becames progressively aware of relations such as those between intervals, the combination of intervals, the order in the combination of intervals, etc, on one hand, and a given harmony (chord; either structural or prolongation chord, in terms of Schenker-Salzer theory), on the other.

Being really usefull (constructive would be a more apropiate word, perhaps) as a harmony-approach technique, it is not harmony itself.

When someone asks whether a given composer keeps within voice-leading rules, it seems like the harmony-proper-issue remained rather unnoticed, etc.

Both issues are meanigfull, so to speak.

Regarding the melody and harmony relation, i would say a couple of things; you could isolate such relation from the voice-leading rules (such an isolation would lead you close to the pure harmony; either within a given composition or within an unspecified piece of music just like a textbook exercise, etc.); second and related to the former, you could learn some harmony by means of analising melody (melodic intervals, periods, etc) and the chordal foundations (composition-wise) of it: for instance, what are the differences between a I-IV based piece and a I-V (or I-VI) piece, and so on.

Greetings
hfd
July 20, 2018 12:39AM
I like:
(When someone asks whether a given composer keeps within voice-leading rules, it seems like the harmony-proper-issue remained rather unnoticed, etc. ) Thank you
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login