Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Frescobaldi. Time signature seems wrong

Posted by ohdearme 
Frescobaldi. Time signature seems wrong
April 21, 2019 12:48PM
Hello all,

I have sheet music Frescobaldi, Si l'aura spira tutta vezzoza but the key sig is just a b flat (F or d minor) yet the tune seems to be in G minor.

Also there are signs in section 1 that I need some explanation on. I do not know how to get my scanned pic here,so if any knows the piece by any chance, I will be grateful for help. (or how do I get my scanned pic up to you)?

Happy Easter

Alan
Viz
Re: Frescobaldi. Time signature seems wrong
April 22, 2019 12:58PM
Happy Easter.

It’s in G minor as you say, and is often scored with 2 flats. However throughout the piece the Eb is often naturalised (raised) as per the Dorian mode, as the piece is mainly in G Dorian. So the editors have the choice: either score it with 2 flats in the key sig (you wrote time sig in the title by the way), and naturalise most of the Ebs, OR score it as G Dorian (1 flat), so the Es are already ‘raised’ - they are then flattened when required.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2019 01:02PM by Viz. (view changes)
April 22, 2019 09:26PM
Hello Viz

I wrote time sig, quite right. I am not familiar with the modes, so I will do a little work on this now.

Many thanks.

Alan
Viz
April 22, 2019 09:50PM
Cool. Dorian is just natural minor, except with a major 6th instead of a minor 6th. In the case of G minor that 6th is the E. Dorian pieces are instantly recognisable, wither due to the raised 6th in the melody, or due to a major IV chord in the harmony. (Natural minor pieces have a minor iv chord).
April 23, 2019 10:41AM
Hello Viz

I just came back to say thank you, glad I did as I note another message from you.

I spent an enjoyable hour learning and now I have got it. Your new message too.

Many thanks again.

Alan
Viz
April 24, 2019 02:33PM
Awesome, cheers, Viz
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login