Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Chord Naming 6ths 13ths, What's the difference?

Posted by ohdearme 
Chord Naming 6ths 13ths, What's the difference?
November 16, 2019 06:03AM
Hello All

So, Is the Chord of the notes C E G Bb A, a C7 add 6th or is it a 13th? My main point (and question) is that do you need the D (9th) and the 11th (F) to diffrentiate?

And is it that critical? In other words, do music exams expect the definitions to be precise?

Best
Re: Chord Naming 6ths 13ths, What's the difference?
November 19, 2019 01:16PM
You could take the following sequence; C7sus4add13add9 C7add13 C7add13 C7 F; to play a cadence making room for the melody D C A G F; that is, making room for the melody D C A G over the bass in C before the bass (and the whole harmony, that is, chord) goes to F.

The way i see it, the practical use of extension notes are related to different frames within the harmonization of a melody and, so forth, rests ultimately on counterpoint. In such a case, it would not be the same whether you ommit either this or that note from a given chord: in the former example, the harmonization of the cadence melody would yield a different flavour, so to speak,that is weakening if not just plainly removing a given functionallity to the harmonization plan.

greetings
Re: Chord Naming 6ths 13ths, What's the difference?
November 26, 2019 04:05AM
Thank you Athair,

Not being very au fait with chords, I have (just a slight) headache, but will now spend a pleasant hour going through this on my keyboard.

Kind of you to reply.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login