Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Rest notes

Posted by dk 
dk
Rest notes
August 30, 2006 10:31AM
What does it mean when you have a rest note directly above or below a quarter or half note?
Re: Rest notes
August 31, 2006 02:08PM
Hm, directly above as in for different clefs?
Al
September 06, 2006 05:02PM
If a rest is directly above a quarter or half note, in a different (treble or bass) clef, then that hand (be it right or left) is not played.

They put the rest in to complete the bar/measure.

Hope this is of any help, if not, i can go into more detail, if you are still unsure.
Al
September 07, 2006 04:17PM
Saw a piece of music today, and this thread came straight to mind!

I understand what you mean now dk, and im not sure what the answer is myself.

In the extremely famous piece Beethoven's Piano Sonata No. 14 aka "Moonlight Sonata". In measure 5, 10 and 15, crotchet (quarter) rest are placed in the same clef, directly above another note, be it a crotchet (quarter) note or a quaver (eighth) note.

What does this mean? I'm also stuck with the same problem.

Any help would be great

Thank you.

Alex
September 07, 2006 06:17PM
Paul Donnelly
September 07, 2006 06:38PM
Uh, hi. I don't actually post here, but I was wandering by and thought I'd chime in.

This comes up when you have more than one voice sharing a staff. When one falls silent for a while rests are inserted because it's less confusing than omitting the part entirely. You read them just like you would read a note of the same value if it were in the same place.

I've never seen anything like Bebe's example. It looks scary though.
September 22, 2006 04:47PM
Paul's exactly right. Remember that even when you're just one person playing a piano piece, the music (particularly baroque music...) may still have many "voices", or interlocking but separate melodies going on.

Bebe, where did that example come from? That looks like an error in the score more than anything else... if that half note was meant to be played as a quarter note (so the rest could fit in the measure) it would be written as a quarter note.

Write the half-note as a quarter, though, and that's a good illustration of this question.

-Rob
November 07, 2006 08:42PM
the example i give is a piece from bach.. its two different voices..
November 16, 2006 04:24PM
Hi, bebe -
Are you sure that's the exact way it's written in the Bach piece? In that example the top voice has 2 beats (4 eighth notes), but the bottom voice has 3 beats (half note + quarter note rest) in the same time period... that's what looks strange to me.

-Rob
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login