Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Rolled Chords

Posted by corporatespinach 
Rolled Chords
September 10, 2006 11:27AM
When playing a rolled chord on the piano (is that what they're called? The arpeggiated chords played quickly from bottom to top with the squiggly line to the left?) can I hold the bottom note and subsequent notes as well through the whole quick roll or should I release them as soon as I play them and only hold the top note for the duration of how long the rolled chord is notated? I know if the roll is quick then the other notes are not held, but what if it is a quarter note or half note roll in a piece that is not fast?
Re: Rolled Chords
September 14, 2006 10:46PM
no you don't hold the bottom note .. you play it really fast from left to right, and I don't understand what you meant at the end, so I can't answer that.
Re: Rolled Chords
September 22, 2006 07:49PM
I'm not a piano performance expert, but I'd guess that you were supposed to roll it slower, if they give you time to do that.

If the composer wants you to roll the chord but hold the top note longer, I think the top note would be tied (to the next note, etc.) to extend it.

-Rob
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
n67Nb