Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile


circle of 5ths + mediants

Posted by Beeflatminor7th 
circle of 5ths + mediants
March 17, 2007 10:55AM

Hi. I have a question regarding the name of something:

If you take the circle of fifths and insert the appropriate mediants between each of the 12 notes (or keys, if you want to look at it that way) on the circle, what is the 24-note result called?

In other words, you start with the twelve in the circle: C, G, D, A, E, B, F#, C#, Ab, Eb, Bb, F
and then insert the mediants and you get 24 notes/keys: C, Em, G, Bm, D, F#m, A, C#m, E, Abm, B, Ebm, F#, Bbm, C#, Fm, Ab, Cm, Eb, Gm, Bb, Dm, F, Am, (then back to C). Does this 24-note overlapping thread of major and minor triads have a specific name?

I'd really appreciate an answer to this burning question.


Re: circle of 5ths + mediants
April 24, 2007 04:51PM
I propose "circle of alternating major/minor thirds".
(No, I don't think it has a name)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login