Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

decending relative minor scales

Posted by Dawn Perrote 
Dawn Perrote
decending relative minor scales
March 30, 2007 10:29AM
Hello,
I am a music occupations student at MATC in Milwaukee WI , this is my first semester and I have "music reading" , What I'm having trouble with is "decending relative minor scales" and also "ascending". If anyone has any suggestions or help for me , please get in touch with me.
Elsa Karlsen
Re: decending relative minor scales
May 04, 2007 03:34AM
Dawn Perrote Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hello,
> I am a music occupations student at MATC in
> Milwaukee WI , this is my first semester and I
> have "music reading" , What I'm having trouble
> with is "decending relative minor scales" and also
> "ascending". If anyone has any suggestions or help
> for me , please get in touch with me.

Hi Dawn,

I'm just wonder if you ar the sister of Cheryl Ann Perrote? ;-) If so please send me a confirmation, because I would like to get in touch with her!

Best regards
Elsa Karlsen, Norway
Re: decending relative minor scales
May 06, 2007 01:20PM
Hello, Dawn --
Everyone runs into trouble with different aspects -- the best way to ask a question is to walk through the parts you know, and point out the part you don't understand.

About minor scales: there's more than one kind. If you're learning a scale that's different ascending from descending... that's a special case, the "melodic minor". If you know how the "natural minor" works, that will help... the melodic minor when descending is just like the natural minor... when it's ascending, the 6th and 7th notes are raised.

On the other hand, "relative" minor isn't really a type of scale. If you play a major scale (think of C up to C, all white keys on the piano) but next time start with the 6th note (A) instead of C, you'll play a minor scale. That scale, A minor, is the "relative minor" of C because it uses the exact same notes.

-Rob
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login