Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

music reading

Posted by pettromeloomis 
music reading
May 22, 2007 11:20AM
ok so I feel like a complete idiot for asking this but, when it comes to reading music for guitar where do the notes fall for each fret on the staff? I can read basic keyboard music but not much for guitar. For example what would the first position of the E Harmonic Minor scale (12th fret) look like in standard notation? not the open position.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2007 11:24AM by pettromeloomis. (view changes)
Re: music reading
May 22, 2007 07:51PM
Sorry, I don't think I can help you much with this one, because, though I play a little guitar, not much. Mostly I am a keyboardist. Of course, the open low E string is the E two lower than middle C, so the 12th fret being an octave, the scale would start on the E directly below middle C, and I assume you would know what it would look like from there. But hopefully someone else will answer you, becasue I don't know very much on guitar.

By the way, since you like more towards heavy metal, have you ever heard a CD called Momentum by a guy called Tobymac? It is not exactly heavy metal, but is more towards hard rock, with a little hip-hop, too. His second CD, Diverse City, is much more hip hop, and the newest, Portable Sounds, is more pop. So you would probably like Momentum best. It isn't that it has real weird time signatures, but it is great music. You might want to check it out.

Colin Thomson
May 23, 2007 05:51AM
oh yeah Tobymac, isn't he from DC Talk?

May 23, 2007 09:40AM
Yeah, he used to be, but they are all doing solo work now. He's got some pretty good stuff.
May 23, 2007 10:52AM
I'll definately check it out.
June 06, 2007 02:40PM
pettromeloomis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ok so I feel like a complete idiot for asking this
> but, when it comes to reading music for guitar
> where do the notes fall for each fret on the
> staff? I can read basic keyboard music but not
> much for guitar. For example what would the first
> position of the E Harmonic Minor scale (12th fret)
> look like in standard notation? not the open
> position.

Hey, here's one I can really help with.

Draw 3 ledger lines below the staff (with a G clef), and the space below that last ledger line is the open E string. You can play around with the other notes on the staff to see how they match up with guitar frets here:
[www.emusictheory.com]

..or test yourself here:
[www.emusictheory.com]

These only cover the first 5 frets, unfortunately -- I have plans to make it more flexible, but for now you have to practice the rest on a real guitar.

The main thing to understand is that the note on the staff is the same, no matter where on the fretboard you play the note. So 12th fret on the low E is exactly the same thing on the sheet music as second fret on the D string... either way, the note is on the lowest line of the staff (no ledger lines).

So how's a guitarist supposed to know where on the fretboard to play the note? Unfortunately, sometimes with unfamiliar music you have to think through a few possibilities to choose the best one.

-Rob
nameless, faceless
October 08, 2007 09:17AM
Don't feel like an idiot. It's actually quite admirable to try that on the guitar. Most guitarists rely on tabs and don't venture so far as to learn to read actual sheet music. I play both piano and guitar and can read for the piano, but it always seemed too complicated for guitar and the thought to learn never even crossed my mind. Anyway, GL.

(Dang, I just realized how old these posts are. We're quite the active bunch here, eh?)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login