Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

LMusTCL theory exam with Trinity College London (Trinity Guildhall)

Posted by LizMonument 
LizMonument
LMusTCL theory exam with Trinity College London (Trinity Guildhall)
February 01, 2012 06:51AM
Hello, I'm having real problems trying to find a study buddy for the LMusTCL theory diploma. I sat in the exam in November 2011 and got the results last week: I failed by 8 marks. Unlike the AMusTCL, there is no handbook and little to no support on the forums.

Having spent so much time studying the Bartok Concerto for Orchestra (set work) and harmony, I want to resit. The problem is, although the past papers and examiners' reports are available, there is no mark scheme. Without a mark scheme, I find it difficult to know where to set the bar.

For example, the Section A question 2 was my favourite, and one I was mistakenly confident with. You are shown five short scores and asked to identify era, facets of the composer's style, and anything else relevant. These are worth 4 marks each. I attained only 8 out of 20 marks, so I would benefit from knowing exactly WHAT is awarded each mark (I gave four points for each score yet achieved a dismally low mark).

Trinity's theory discussion forums have drawn a blank; I input a question along the same lines to a UK musical 'ask a Dr' site and drew response that said 'sorry I can't help' or similar; I took harmony lessons (and passed the harmony part of the paper) but the same teacher, who was excellent, was marking me at 19/20 on the short scores I quoted above, because without the mark scheme he too had no idea of what was required. Our guess work wasn't enough!

Can anybody out there help?
Re: LMusTCL theory exam with Trinity College London (Trinity Guildhall)
February 02, 2012 03:56AM
Hi Liz! I am in the same situation in Australia (sitting for LMusA) where they provide practically no information or guide. I was lucky I found a teacher who worked at the board before and that helped a lot. Maybe give them a call or something? Sorry I can't be of more help!
LizMonument
February 03, 2012 03:18AM
Thanks for your reply!

I have found a lecturer at nearby Hull University who is a Trinity examiner, but not for the diploma papers. However, I wonder whether he might be able to gain insight into the mark scheme from a colleague. I've booked in for my first lesson next week. I have some ideas of how to improve my marks, so hopefully I'll do better in the May resit. When did you take your Licentiate?
LizMonument
LMusTCL theory exam
February 08, 2012 04:49AM
There is an on-line teacher in New Zealand who can provide resource materials and mark papers for a fee. His name is Bruce Baker and his organisation is Mediant Studies. I've been liasing with Bruce regarding the LMus and I'm most impressed by the help and resources I've received. If anybody else is hoping to do this diploma, I'd recommend this tutor. Apparently most first time applicants who take themselves through the LMus material fail. Armed with your mark sheet, you have a better idea of what Trinity are looking for... wish me luck for the resit!
LizMonument
January 24, 2013 09:17AM
Results came today and I'm glad to say I achieved 71% which is down to my e-tutor Bruce Baker's knowledge of the exam. I don't recommend anybody tries this exam without some help/direction; I've been teaching music for 20 years this year and I found the exam tougher than my degree finals, because the exam is from memory, whereas my finals weren't.
January 24, 2013 01:17PM
Congratulations!

Steve
Benny
May 01, 2013 12:13PM
Yes is so frustrating.. here in India we don't have very many qualified people and no one wants to burn their fingers so to say.. I failed by 5 marks.. but i paid up half the fee for a revaluation and then was told sos andso is expected in this question and .... etc etc..i could forward you the email.. but probably you've done the exam by now.. i'm repeating it this year,,, and i've got to study Haydn's sonata....
Achal
May 06, 2013 07:04AM
Hi Benny, I too am from India and planning on giving LMus this november. I will be giving it from Mumbai but unfortunately i haven't been able to find many resources so far. It would be great if we exchanged materials for the exam, it would make the process much easier for the both of us.
LizMonument
Re: LMusTCL theory exam - some tips
October 15, 2013 11:25AM
LizMonument Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
I've come back to the forum to see how much interest there's been in the LMusTCL diploma. Bruce Baker told me via email recently that several people have read my recommendations here, and have contacted him to either purchase the help-notes, or to enrol for a course with him.

Thank you for your congratulations, Steve!

Good luck for your exam, Benny and Achal - I've been trying to think of some tips that might help, so here goes:

My first attempt, I included no musical quotations from the set work (Bartok). I achieved a much better mark on the resit, when I memorised eight short but relevant musical quotes and included six of them in the exam. The quotations I'd memorised were a short flute cadenza, a rhythmic pattern from snare-less side drum, the first theme in the trumpet (six bars), and so on. I made sure there were several things I could say about each quote, so that whatever the way the essay title was phrased, I would be able to use almost all of them.

Your exam is three hours long; allow up to ten minutes to read the questions, then divide the time left between the questions, weighting the 30 mark questions with proportionately longer than the 20 mark questions. This is very difficult but it's the only way I got to the end of the exam within the time. The harmony paper is particularly tough - and you don't have time to go back and re-check questions as much as you'd like. Keep an eye on the clock.

Almost all my past papers had Schubert AND Schumann in the short scores. Learn to spot the difference between them, because one or both will almost certainly crop up. Bruce Baker's notes taught me how to do this (with particular reference to song with piano accompaniment) - and yes, they were both on the exam.

If you stop by and read this forum, please comment - I'd love to know just how many people actually do this exam (they still haven't brought out an examiner's report for the Nov 2012 so I don't think there can be many of us)...

Best wishes and good luck!
Mary Mc Kendry
Re: LMusTCL theory exam
October 15, 2013 12:22PM
LizMonument Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There is an on-line teacher in New Zealand who can
> provide resource materials and mark papers for a
> fee. His name is Bruce Baker and his organisation
> is Mediant Studies. I've been liasing with Bruce
> regarding the LMus and I'm most impressed by the
> help and resources I've received. If anybody else
> is hoping to do this diploma, I'd recommend this
> tutor. Apparently most first time applicants who
> take themselves through the LMus material fail.
> Armed with your mark sheet, you have a better idea
> of what Trinity are looking for... wish me luck
> for the resit!
Music_Maniac
January 31, 2014 12:05AM
Hi Benny & Achal (I too from India:-)),

Any update on your examination and results?
I'm planning to take this as well sometime in future.
Joshen
September 25, 2015 10:05AM
Hi LIz,

I am planning on taking this LMusTCL exam. Could you help me with the materials.

Thanks,
Joshen
Liz Monument
December 23, 2015 11:08AM
Hello Joshen, since the set works have changed I can't help with materials unfortunately - even my notes on short scores were given away in 2013 to another teacher, so all I can say is, as before, I recommend Bruce Baker of NZ. I bought the short score analysis tutorial notes for a very reasonable fee and they were invaluable. So sorry if this message is too late to be of any use - I don't get message alerts, so I only check this site once in a blue moon. Best of luck and let us know how you get on, Liz
Liz Monument
On-line international learning for LMusTCL
February 28, 2016 12:51AM
I thought it was worth adding that I'm based in the UK. I've just been contacted by an international student who wondered if I was in NZ. All my materials arrived from Bruce Baker over the internet, and I was able to print them out. If my memory serves me correctly, bank fees for international transfers were horrendous at the time so Bruce opened a Paypal account to circumvent them. I hope this information helps anybody studying currently.

Re past papers, I did an internet search and found, surprisingly, Boosey & Hawks music shop on-ine (London?) better for supplying a big range of papers than Trinity College (London) on-line shop was.

However, I can remember having to really scout around on the internet, because the gaps in past paper availability are considerable, with some papers seemingly out of print. This was in 2012 - maybe the situation is better now.

Good luck everybody.

Liz
Liz Monument
September 11, 2016 09:26AM
As an update, I now have a brief advice page on my website www.lizmusician.com
October 26, 2016 02:14AM
Re past papers, I did an internet search and found, surprisingly, Boosey & Hawks music shop on-ine (London?) better for supplying a big range of papers than Trinity College (London) on-line shop was.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login