Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

A song in Locrian :)

Posted by Kentaku 
Kentaku
A song in Locrian :)
May 22, 2012 09:54AM
Hey, this is a sample of a song I started working on a while back last year and it's still stuck. My singer in my band doesn't like it but I do and I can't sing or really write songs but it's a cool thing I'll probably finish. This song starts in Bb and then the Verse is in B Locrian. Then the chorus is back to Bb and 2nd verse in Locrian again. [soundcloud.com]

REMEMBER THAT IT'S JUST A MIDI, THE REAL VERSION IS ACTUALLY ELECTRIC GUITAR AND PIANO
Also, the B Locrian part has no singing melody yet.

I want you to really pay attention to the rich harmonies I've put in it. My strategy for making use of the locrian mode, LEAVE OUT THE FLAT 5! Regardless of it technically being a diminished chord, you don't really need it in the one chord. Just play a minor third then a major chord a tritone away and BAM you've got Locrian!! In other words use a m7omit5 instead of a m7b5, unless you want the b5. it's up to you but I like to leave it out usually.

My chords are:

Intro: Bb - Dm/A - Gm - Ebmaj9 - F - Gm and then to B locrian:

Bm7omit5 - F - G - Bm7omit5 - Dm - Em

Verse: Bm7omit5 - F6 - Dm/A - Em - G X2

Tell me what you think, I want to hear someone's opinion on how good this sounds.
Re: A song in Locrian :)
May 22, 2012 02:34PM
I've used the "omit 5" strategy before.

One thing to note though - a lot of instruments have a naturally prominent overtonal 5th (distorted guitars, low piano notes, etc.) so in some cases you do actually *hear* the 5th (F#) even if you don't play it.

I like the section a lot. Sounds good.

One thing I might say is, be careful of falling into the trap of including something just to include it. This can sometimes sound very forced and unnatural. I think it works nicely in this context as a nice contrast.

Steve
May 27, 2012 10:31PM
A very stimulating concept.

A word on nomenclature- one might call it a Gapped 5 Locrian. Looking at a scale like a pentatonic- one might consider naming it a Major triad with tones , say 69 added; or as a Major Gapped 74.It makes a difference due to it's perspective,indicating harmonic and scale note choices, in differently informative ways.
May 28, 2012 08:47AM
Since he's only omitting the 5 on the B chords, it's not a "gapped" scale. All of the notes of the scale are present throughout the section, it's only one chord that has a "missing" noted. We don't call the Major scale "gapped Ionian" or anything different if the V7 chord omits the 5th (which is extremely common). It's all Locrian.

Steve
June 06, 2012 12:17AM
It sounds good and I like too. Thanks for sharing this.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2012 12:18AM by Henrymark. (view changes)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login