Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Strange Clefs as well as strange chords

Posted by Anthony 
What does a backwards clef (treble and bass) mean? (they are actually a real thing, I've seen them)

Also, what does it mean when a chord is notated as a large bar going down the staff (as a chord would)
I think it means you play all the notes that would be played as if it were stacking seconds on top of each other, but i'm not sure...

can anyone clarify!
Anthony,

I've seen the backwards clef before (in a Stravinsky piece) and if I am not mistaken, I believe it is just a stylistic twist on the regular clef.

The description of the "large bar" sounds as if it is used for some kind of advanced technique of that specific instrument. I've seen similar symbols used in works of Cage, Crumb, Varese, Penderecki, Stockhausen, etc. It is usually something that the composer had created him/her self and normally gave some sort of legend to indicate what the symbol meant. Who is the piece by? I hope this helps out some and maybe someone else will respond to give more information.

James
Thank you!

actually, however, I've been doing research and asking around and the best (I think) explaination for the backwards clef:
Way back in the time of Bach, Bach (and deffinatley other composers) would put a backwards clef (or even upside down indicating the score would be played looking at it upside to make the clef look as a regular clef!) at the END of a piece indicating the piece was to be played as a crab canon, forward and backward at the same time.

As for the large bar chord, I learned is simple a tone cluster!. Obviously, this is only possible on instruments that can play multiple notes at a time. It is probably only possible on a keyboard, because to sound that many notes at one time requires an extra palm, or arm or elbow! I've seen this is Henry Cowell's work, Charles Ives's work, Debussy's work, etc. It is considered avant-garde notation to write something like this.

Awesome! That's good to know! I've even seen music with clusters that calls for a specific length of a 2x4 piece of wood to have the ability to depress a greater number of keys on the piano than the human anatomy could:) Take care!

James
yeah I've heard about those! they are supposed to reached the length of an octave on a keyboard!

Imagine getting a bunch of those and playing all the keys of the piano at the same time!
What is the symbol in the first row, fifth column of the Character Map on this page:
[www.fonthaus.com] ?
It looks like three esses stacked vertically, with two vertical lines in the middle.

Paul
ttw
Re: Strange Clefs as well as strange chords
July 29, 2013 01:20PM
James Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Awesome! That's good to know! I've even seen music
> with clusters that calls for a specific length of
> a 2x4 piece of wood to have the ability to depress
> a greater number of keys on the piano than the
> human anatomy could:) Take care!
>
> James

Like in this video?
[www.youtube.com]
Author:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
uPMYx